Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius Day Trip from Rome
As Europe’s best-known active volcano, Vesuvius gained notoriety for the destruction of the ancient towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79. See the scars of...
As Europe’s best-known active volcano, Vesuvius gained notoriety for the destruction of the ancient towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79. See the scars of ancient lava flows while traveling to the volcano’s foothills, and then hop off your coach to walk to the top. Hiking up to the crater is the best way to experience Vesuvius’ magic, and after 20 minutes of steady-paced walking along soft volcanic ash and pumice stone you’ll hit the top.
Gaze down into the crater and enjoy some free time up on the ridge to soak up the volcanic views, set against the dazzling backdrop of the Bay of Naples. After taking pictures and drinking in the vistas, walk back down the volcano with your guide, and hop back aboard your coach for the short journey to Naples.
Enjoy one of the city’s world-famous pizzas for lunch, and then head south to the ancient city of Pompeii. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Pompeii’s archeological site is fascinating to explore with well-preserved fossils and ruins that lay beneath volcanic ash for centuries.
See its sights with your guide, noting where the restaurants, shops and brothels of ancient Pompeii once stood. Marvel at the remains of the Forum and see Teatro Grande – an impressive theater that once sat some 5,000 people. See plaster death casts of the victims, and then hear how they were ‘discovered’ in the 18th century.
After exploring the excavation site, return to your coach and travel back to Rome. Your tour finishes at the start point in the early evening.
Please note: Mt Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 20, 2017 – March 31, 2018. During this time, the hike is replaced with a walking tour of the National Archaeological Museum of Pompeii. The site is home to an array of relics, excavations and art from Pompeii.
Rewards Points Earn 429
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guided tour in English
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Entrance fee to Mount Vesuvius (April 1, 2017 – November 19, 2017)
- Entrance fee to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii (November 20, 2017 – March 31, 2018)
- Entrance fee to Pompeii
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Piazza del Popolo
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes
- Temperatures on the volcano are usually lower than temperatures on the ground; a sweater or light jacket is recommended
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- On rare occasions the crater of Mount Vesuvius may close due to adverse weather conditions. If this happens, you will be offered an extended tour of Pompeii, a visit to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, or a visit to Mount Solfatara, a volcano located in the Phlaegrean Fields near Mount Vesuvius
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs or strollers on our group tours
- Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour
- Extra measures may be implemented due to heightened global security. As a result, we may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering the venue. Extra measures may also restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, we strongly suggest that you avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Loved this tour.
Both the tour leader and Pompeii specific guide were terrific! The walk to Mt Vesuvius was spectacular.
My 11 year old son was with me and he also really enjoyed it. Highly recommended!
We took this tour in June 2018 with Inglen--the most knowledgable and patient tour guide we experienced during our entire trip. Honestly, you can't go wrong with booking a tour with City Wonders. I would 100% recommend this specific tour to anyone. Make sure to wear appropriate shoes and clothing--it's a long, hot day, but completely worth it!
Great experience and awesome adventure.
Barbara was an amazing tour guide that was really good at getting us focused and happy on a long tour. It was hot as this was July. Our Pompeii tour guide was amazing too. I do recommend this tour.
The lunch was tacky and touristy. The bus was clean but the air conditioning could have worked better.
i loved this tour! the only thing i would say is to make sure you eat breakfast or bring a snack. we were starving by lunch time but this is absolutely worth it. i would even do it all over again! best tour guide ever.
This experience is non-refundable. If you cancel, you will not be eligible for a refund.