Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica Half-Day Walking Tour
Skip The Line
At a time when Italian art blazed a trail around the world, the Vatican employed only the best Renaissance and
At a time when Italian art blazed a trail around the world, the Vatican employed only the best Renaissance and Baroque architects to furnish their surroundings. No surprise then that the popes amassed one of the world’s finest collections of sculptures, carvings, frescoes and paintings – a visual feast for art connoisseurs and amateurs alike.
Walk through breathtaking galleries like Raphael’s Rooms, a series of interconnecting papal chambers that showcase the artistic genius of Renaissance master Raphael and his pupils. Stop to look at mesmerizing paintings like the School of Athens, which features images of Michelangelo and Raphael himself, and hear about the rivalries that resulted in some of the most influential works of Western art ever created.
Stroll through more captivating rooms including the Gallery of the Maps and Gallery of Masks, and then head inside the Sistine Chapel – the popes’ private place of worship. Besides its sacredness, the main draw of the Sistine Chapel is the incredible frescoes, created solely by Michelangelo. Gaze skyward at The Creation of Adam ceiling fresco, and look to the back wall to see The Last Judgement.
Finish with a walk inside St Peter’s Basilica – Italy’s largest and infinitely most spectacular church that’s built on the site of St Peter’s supposed burial place. Marvel at La Pieta, one of Michelangelo’s early sculptures, and stop to rub the foot of St Peter himself for good luck and a blessing. Your tour then finishes outside the church.
Want to skip the line and the crowds too? Upgrade to the 8am small-group tour and after skipping the long entrance lines, gain access to the museums before the general public set foot inside! See all the classic Vatican sights in a small-group of no more than 12 people, with personalized attention from your guide.
Book the 7:30pm tour and explore the Vatican Museums after the main closing times – an opportunity available for a strictly limited season. Access is only possible for people pre-booking an evening tour, so book now to secure your spot! The season runs every Friday from May 6 until July 26, and then from September 6 until October 25. Numbers are limited to 20 people. Please note that entry isn't permitted to St Peter's Basilica in the evening tour.
Rewards Points Earn 123
Most Popular in Rome, ItalySee All
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St Peter's, Sistine…
Visit the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica on this guided Vatican walking tour, in a group of no more than 20 people! See Raphael's Rooms, Gallery of the Maps and more, and then step inside the Sistine Chapel to see Michelangelo's fresco 'The Creation of Adam.' Finish with a St Peter's Basilica tour and hear the secrets of the holiest place in Christendom. Choose from four different start times or upgrade to a small-group tour (12 people maximum). Skip the long lines for St. Peter's Basilica with special access directly from the Sistine Chapel.Due to a new Vatican partnership, this tour provides VIP access through a reserved door, allowing you to skip all the lines - even the priority lines.
Rewards Points Earn 231
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day…
Leave the crowds behind and head straight inside the Colosseum with your skip-the-line entrance ticket! In a group of no more than 25 people, explore the first and second tiers of this A-list attraction with a guide, learning about the gladiators who competed in the Colosseum's gory gladiatorial games. Finish with a tour of the Roman Forum in Ancient Rome and admire incredible ruins, like the Temple of Julius Caesar.If you want to see the Colosseum Underground Chambers, Arena and Upper Tier, then upgrade! - These areas that are either newly opened or normally off-limits.
Rewards Points Earn 174
Pompeii and Amalfi Coast Semi-Private Day Trip from…
Take this incredible Rome day trip to the Amalfi Coast, and discover the dreamy coastal scenery that typifies this stunning area of southern Italy. Spend time at leisure in the picture-perfect towns of Amalfi and Positano, and then head to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Pompeii -the ancient town that was blanketed beneath a sea of Mount Vesuvius' volcanic ash for centuries.Numbers are limited to seven/eight on this small-group tour, ensuring you'll enjoy personalized attention from your guide.
Rewards Points Earn 843
Naples and Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
Combine a trip to Naples with a tour of Pompeii's ruins on a full-day excursion from Rome! From the comfort of your coach, see the sights of Naples, admiring the Royal Palace, Castel dell'Ovo, Piazza del Plebiscito and more. Hear tales of Bourbon kings who once ruled the city, and then travel inland to visit Pompeii. Stop for lunch and then tour the UNESCO-listed ruins, seeing incredible monuments that lay undiscovered for centuries.
Rewards Points Earn 468
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Skip the line
- Likely to Sell Out
- Professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Vatican Museums entrance tickets are NOT included
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Return DetailsConcludes in St Peter's Square
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Important: Entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums are NOT included and will be provided by the agency at an additional cost (on the spot).
- A supplement of approx. 24 euros (adult) is payable directly. Entrance will be free of charge on World Tourism Day.
- All visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security
- Luggage storage NOT available
- Evening tours do not include a visit to St. Peter's Basilica
- Tours departing Wednesday: St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square will be unavailable due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica is closed. As an alternative you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's Rooms. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you prefer that St Peter's Basilica and Square are included, please DO NOT select Wednesday as your travel date
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, you'll spend a full 3 hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will list any affected dates as they become available. The tour guides aim to notify guests if St Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed upon commencement of the tour. It is beyond our control, so no refunds or discounts will be issued
- This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible. For your information, Vatican Museums provide wheelchairs free of charge in the main lobby. You can easily pick one up after you enter, before starting your own independent visit. If you are looking for a guided tour with wheelchair access, we recommend booking our private tours so a guide can lead you through the alternate routes
- Our tours end at the front of St Peter's Basilica, which is a very convenient location to leave for lunch, visit the Vatican bookstore, visit the Vatican post office, enter St Peter's Basilica, continue to the grottos below St Peter's, or climb to the dome. Your tour guide will be happy to point you in the right direction!
- We cannot predict when individual museums will be crowded. In general long lines are common at major attractions in summer, on most weekends, and during peak travel periods throughout the year (Christmas, Easter, local holidays). Our skip-the-line tickets (not included in the price) enable you to skip the line if indeed there is one.
- Please note: Raphael Rooms are available only for the first morning tour.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Our small group of 3 had an 8 am tour which was ideal, even though there were already lines, our tour guide Francesco led us through and into key areas he said were often too crowded to see clearly. Felt like we had parts of the museum to ourselves! It was great. Francesco was wonderful, very interactive, and gave us tons of interesting information. It was a pleasure to have a guide who seemingly enjoys their job so much! Sistine Chapel and St Peters Basilica were wonderful. Our tour included a trip up to the top of the dome, which was amazing. There was a service going on and being able to watch and listen to the beautiful music echoing through the area was very moving. The weather left a little to be desired so we did not spend much time outside the dome or in the Plaza. Also due to the service going on we could not get into the crypts. But the tour was overall a 5 out of 5, we loved it.
The Vatican is certainly a place where you want to take advantage of skipping lines! Highly recommend this tour.
Skipping the line alone was well worth it. Having someone help navigate and point things out, you just can't see the Vatican any other way.
Tour was extremely expensive. For 3 adults 3 teens and 1 preschooler, we paid $289.08. The Viator “skip the line” for three places is deceiving. We ended up paying an extra 24€ for each adult and half price for teens = about $129.00 some dollars!!! Weds- St Peters Basillica is closed and free.
This is an essential tour. I loved the Vatican museum, and of course seeing the frescoes of the Sistine Chapel. But for me the highlight was being inside St Peter's Basilica. The guide was fantastic. So much history. Wonderful!
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.