Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica Half-Day Walking Tour
Skip The Line
At a time when Italian art blazed a trail around the world, the Vatican employed only the best Renaissance and
At a time when Italian art blazed a trail around the world, the Vatican employed only the best Renaissance and Baroque architects to furnish their surroundings. No surprise then that the popes amassed one of the world’s finest collections of sculptures, carvings, frescoes and paintings – a visual feast for art connoisseurs and amateurs alike.
Walk through breathtaking galleries like Raphael’s Rooms, a series of interconnecting papal chambers that showcase the artistic genius of Renaissance master Raphael and his pupils. Stop to look at mesmerizing paintings like the School of Athens, which features images of Michelangelo and Raphael himself, and hear about the rivalries that resulted in some of the most influential works of Western art ever created.
Stroll through more captivating rooms including the Gallery of the Maps and Gallery of Masks, and then head inside the Sistine Chapel – the popes’ private place of worship. Besides its sacredness, the main draw of the Sistine Chapel is the incredible frescoes, created solely by Michelangelo. Gaze skyward at The Creation of Adam ceiling fresco, and look to the back wall to see The Last Judgement.
Finish with a walk inside St Peter’s Basilica – Italy’s largest and infinitely most spectacular church that’s built on the site of St Peter’s supposed burial place. Marvel at La Pieta, one of Michelangelo’s early sculptures, and stop to rub the foot of St Peter himself for good luck and a blessing. Your tour then finishes outside the church.
Want to skip the line and the crowds too? Upgrade to the 8am small-group tour and after skipping the long entrance lines, gain access to the museums before the general public set foot inside! See all the classic Vatican sights in a small-group of no more than 12 people, with personalized attention from your guide.
Book the 7:30pm tour and explore the Vatican Museums after the main closing times – an opportunity available for a strictly limited season. Access is only possible for people pre-booking an evening tour, so book now to secure your spot! The season runs every Friday from May 6 until July 26, and then from September 6 until October 25. Numbers are limited to 20 people. Please note that entry isn't permitted to St Peter's Basilica in the evening tour.
Rewards Points Earn 141
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Skip the line
- Likely to Sell Out
- Professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Vatican Museums entrance tickets are not included (approx. 23 euros per adult and 16 euros per child, payable cash directly)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Return DetailsConcludes in St Peter's Square
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please Note: entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums are not included. A supplement of approx. 23 euros (adult) is payable directly. Entrance will be free of charge on World Tourism Day.
- All visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security
- Luggage storage NOT available
- Evening tours do not include a visit to St. Peter's Basilica
- Tours departing Wednesday: St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square will be unavailable due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica is closed. As an alternative you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's Rooms. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you prefer that St Peter's Basilica and Square are included, please DO NOT select Wednesday as your travel date
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, you'll spend a full 3 hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will list any affected dates as they become available. The tour guides aim to notify guests if St Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed upon commencement of the tour. It is beyond our control, so no refunds or discounts will be issued
- This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible. For your information, Vatican Museums provide wheelchairs free of charge in the main lobby. You can easily pick one up after you enter, before starting your own independent visit. If you are looking for a guided tour with wheelchair access, we recommend booking our private tours so a guide can lead you through the alternate routes
- Our tours end at the front of St Peter's Basilica, which is a very convenient location to leave for lunch, visit the Vatican bookstore, visit the Vatican post office, enter St Peter's Basilica, continue to the grottos below St Peter's, or climb to the dome. Your tour guide will be happy to point you in the right direction!
- We cannot predict when individual museums will be crowded. In general long lines are common at major attractions in summer, on most weekends, and during peak travel periods throughout the year (Christmas, Easter, local holidays). Our skip-the-line tickets (not included in the price) enable you to skip the line if indeed there is one.
- Please note: Raphael Rooms are available only for the first morning tour.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Our tour guide was so knowledgeable, we learned so much and enjoyed the tour immensely!
Excellent tour. Well worth taking this if you want to see your way around Vatican with a knowledgeable guide
We did an early tour which i totally recommend. We had no problem finding our tour guide, she was so informative, the Vatican museums are so vast she just selected the most important things. You had the option to return to the museums later if so wished. My star was St Peters Basilica words cannot describe its beauty. It was a once in a lifetime experience!! It was quite busy but well worth it.
Overall great experience and tour. Tour guide was very informative. Really enjoyed the whole tour!
Love the tour. Excellent tour guide. Felt rushed and didn't see everything. I wonder if the audio tour will be better.
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.
Guests Also Viewed Similar Activities
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums with St Peter's,...
Rewards Points Earn 222
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day...
Rewards Points Earn 183
Rome Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour
Rewards Points Earn 102
Pompeii and Vesuvius - Day Trip From Rome
Rewards Points Earn 441